I printed the photo onto all three weights of Zeelon - A4 size - then layered them light, medium, heavy, spray basting them together and fusing the whole lot onto stiff interfacing. I drew circles in various sizes, cut them out and reversed them so the light weight Zeelon is on top. I sewed these in place using gold Madeira thread and embroidered small circles inside each one and zapped them with the heat gun. I then filled in the background with a zig-zag stitch in the gold thread.
The photos show the piece photographed on the window with the light shining through (001), photographed flat to show the actual colours (002) and a close-up (001a)
The photo reminded me straight away of a meteor and strangely on the same day there were reports on the news about a meteor which was about to hit the Earth somewhere. So, my piece is called 'Meteor Shower'.
the photo looked as though the rocks were cracking and about to erupt so i tried to capture a feeling of fracture in my piece.
i printed the photo onto evolon and lutradur - i started with a bottom layer of wool suiting, then a piece of black kimono lining, the evolon with some curves slashed through it and the kimono pulled through slightly, then the lutradur and some black tulle. i machine stitched it then burnt it back with a heat gun. then dripped sumi ink down the front so it ran down the long stitched curves.
it's called fissures.
VOTING : Please leave a vote in the Poll for the March Challenge; your vote will be anonymous. The Poll is open for ten days from today. I think both pieces are really interesting, and make great use of the original image. Good luck to both of you, and thanks for taking part!