As today is the last day for submissions for the March Challenge, I thought I would show you my attempt. There's still just time to submit a piece... you know you want to!
I started by manipulating the image a little more than I had before. Then, I printed it out on Bertha, my large scale Epson printer, on Lutradur XL. I then carved into it with a soldering iron. I hadn't intended to cut all the way through the cloth, but it seemed to work best that way, so I carved enough away to strengthen the idea that these were flints (in fact, they're not; the original photo was of an asphalt pot hole. As a result, the piece is called Asphalt Dreams).
I decided not to add any stitch at all, as I felt it would be a distraction. The piece varies depending on what colour the underlying surface is. The first of the detail shots is on a pine table; the second on navy blue.
I've received one entry for this Challenge; I hope to receive a few more today. Then I'll share them at the weekend and you can vote for your favourite; the winner will receive a small prize.