Tuesday 22 May 2012

Try It Out Tuesday : Lutradur Lace


If you have used water soluble embroidery paper or fabric, you have probably made needle lace to embellish a piece of work.  If you take a scrap of any weight of Lutradur (except, perhaps XL; I haven't tried it, but I don't think it's worth it...), and free motion stitch into it, in interlapping circles (or in my case, rough approximations of circles).  My preferred weight for this is Lutradur 30.  As you stitch into the cloth, you will find that it distorts and puckers readily.  That's not a problem, as you will be burning out most of the cloth anyway. 

You can use this technique on either plain white or coloured fabric; here, I've used transfer dyed Lutradur and a variegated thread.  The photographs have been taken over  a brown envelope, just to let you see the holes.  You might remember that I used this technique to make a flower here.  Why not try it with some scrap, and see how you get on?  I prefer it to 'lace' made with water soluble materials, as it is stronger, and, if you don't burn out all of the fabric, you get the remains of the cloth adding colour as well as strength.

2 comments:

Angela said...

Oooh, I'll be trying this over the weekend :o) I've got a long weekend and want to have a play with so much!

Linda said...

What a great idea Marion, thank you, and such a gorgeous colour you worked in.