Well, as usual, I'm a bit belated. Fortunately, leaving the cloth to soak in the vinegar solution a bit longer (see Tuesday's post here), won't have done it any harm. So...it's now Saturday, and when I took the plastic off the top of the cat litter tray, this is what I saw; the lutradur which had been wrapped round some long, thin pieces of rusted metal.
I got quite excited... looked good; lots of brown, with some patterning;
So then, I unwrapped the lightweight Zeelon;
again, not bad...some good patterning...
The Zeelon rinsed well, stayed pretty much as it was. The Lutradur, however, went from this ;
It's actually not as white as the photo suggests, but still a lot whiter than I thought it was. I'm not sure why so much of the colour rinsed off, but wondered if perhaps I hadn't had the metal close enough to the cloth. I had also noticed that the lutradur was a lot dryer than the zeelon, which may have been a factor. So, I rewrapped the Lutradur round the door knocker, encased it in plastic and weighed it down as I had done before to the zeelon. I then added some more vinegar, and put it back in the conservatory. I'll check it again on Tuesday.
Still, the results I got are not bad... I could have used the Lutradur as it was, but wanted to get a bit more patterning onto it.