Tuesday 7 August 2012

Try It Out Tuesday : From The Brink

Sometimes, you just plain get it wrong.  I put a piece of Lutradur 30 together with a piece of Evolon, and transfer dyed them yellow, with blue/green stripes running across it.  It was...errr... loud. Screamingly loud.  I like bright colours, but this was eye watering.  So I did what I always do when I make a mistake; I lived with it for a while.  It didn't get any better.  So I decided to treat it as a background and go for A Bold Statement.  I made a rune shape from wool, and felted it into the cloth.  As bold statements go, it screeched.  Definitely Worse.   (Trust me, it was even louder than the photo...sigh.)

So... what to do?  The obvious thing to do was to add another layer; semi transparency is what Lutradur is best at, right?  Mmm.  On this occasion, though, I did have another option.  Taking the lutradur firmly, I began to peel it off the Evolon until I got to the first of the felted wool.  I then cut round the wool, and continued until I had freed the whole of the piece except the centre of the circle. 




You can see the difference; the colour is nowhere near as strong, except in the circle.  It gives the impression of something that is faded.If you look in the close up, you can see how Lutradur has acted as a resist, giving a crackle effect to the colour.  I've talked about this before on the blog, so the technique is perhaps not new to you, but using it in this way, to remove colour from a piece, is an interesting variation.  Why not try it at postcard size, to see the effects for yourself.



Now, I have to decide what to do with it... I think stitch, first.  And then, we'll see.  What would you do with this developing piece?



1 comment:

DIAN said...

ouch, I think I liked it before you added the red. I think I would spray it with some kind of coloured spritz to bring it together or stitch with the machine in long strips to unify the piece. I would use green thread I think.

What does the back (wrong side) of the piece look like?